Sunday, May 10, 2015

day 39: on being selfish

I've been thinking a lot lately about sustaining this healthier lifestyle post-Whole30.

In the past, I maintained a healthy diet (or at least tried to) because I was constantly striving to lose weight, be more fit, and avoid the guilt I felt when I indulged in junk. But now that my relationship with food has changed, the reasons behind why I eat what I eat have changed as well. I'm learning that what I eat can have profound influences on my overall health in ways I never considered before.

It was brought to my attention today that the results I'm seeing are really significant because most people would probably attempt to treat their sleep issues, mood quality, and anxiety levels with over-the counter and even prescription medications. But I am seeing improvements in all of those things and more just by changing the way I eat.

I know I've said this before, but it's a big deal.

I didn't have metabolic issues like insulin resistance, or other clinical signs like hypertension or high cholesterol before I started this so I can't speak to that. But I'm not surprised when I read about others suffering from diabetes or chronic joint pain who find relief when they change their food habits according to Whole30 guidelines.

It is true what they say, that you can't be sure whether or not something is affecting you until you take it away and see how you feel. In It Starts With Food, the Hartwigs use an analogy where you're allergic to a tree that is right outside your window at home but you don't realize it. You have itchy eyes and a runny nose and sneeze every single day and eventually you become accustomed enough that it feels like this is your "normal life". Then you go on vacation somewhere those trees don't grow and you suddenly wake up every day refreshed and energized and without any general malaise you were accustomed to feeling at home, and amazed that this energetic, rested, simply happier state can be attained "normally".

Whatever bothers you, whether it's indigestion, acne, achey knees, a sore back, mood swings, depression, diabetes, the list could go on and on--I am willing to bet that just trying thirty days of focusing on foods that make you more healthy instead of less healthy will make a difference.

I'm not promising a cure or anything. But I am confident enough--after seeing how my own life has changed for the better--that I can say that something could be improved in your life. And your diet is great place to start in order to make those improvements.

The difficult part comes in when you're done, you reintroduce, and then you have to decide what's "worth it". What about special occasions, family dinners, holidays, vacations, times and places when you don't get to dictate what's on your plate--what then?

Since I haven't gone through the reintroduction protocol yet, I can't say definitively what's worth it for me and what's definitely not. But I can say that there are some of my habits associated with food that will be changed permanently. And that has effects on the people closest to me.

So what's worth it?

Putting social niceties ahead of my own optimal health is not.
Avoiding potentially hurting my mother's, grandmother's, or other generous host's feelings is probably not either (sorry, but it's true).

Now that I know how good I can feel, I'm going to be selfish and want to feel that good all the time. This wouldn't really be a problem if I was a hermit and the only person my food choices affected was me (which is basically what I've been for the past year). But in a month, I'll be sharing a home with my significant other. We have plans to travel and visit family this summer, and I know there will be countless instances in the future where my "new" diet (avoiding whatever it is I decide is necessary to avoid) is going to pose extra stress on the situation.

I can't really know how I'm going to handle those situations until I come upon them. But I can say that I'm not going to immediately roll over for the Standard American Diet whenever I'm presented with a little inconvenience or pressure. My health is too important to me.

That sounds selfish.

But it's okay to be selfish when it comes to your health. Compromise is really important to maintaining healthy relationships. And this can sometimes apply to your relationship with food. But you have to suss out what's worth it because you think it's worth it versus what you're telling yourself is worth it because you just can't bother to go through the rigmarole of finding a more healthy option.

So I'm being selfish--to what extent is to be determined, BUT--

I (and you) might as well come to terms with it now, I'm going to be selfish. My health isn't something I should have to compromise, and it certainly isn't something I've "earned" or because I "deserve" it. Good health is. And so it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment