Tuesday, April 7, 2015

day 7: insight for days

Now is the time when I should probably say something insightful about how I've completed a full week of my Whole30 thus far, but I can't stop thinking about a post that came up on my Facebook feed today from the folks over at Whole9 (I highly recommend reading it).

Whole9 is the parent organization that birthed It Starts With Food and the Whole30 program. While the "30" in Whole30 refers to an amount of time, the "9" in Whole9 refers to nine factors that the founders believe to be critical for leading an optimally healthy and balanced life. Those 9 factors are: nutrition, sleep, healthy movement, stress management, fun and play, personal growth, socialization, natural environment, and temperance.

I don't know about you, but I'm constantly trying to make improvements related to all of these factors in my own life. And I find it strange and fascinating that addressing just one of them head on (nutrition) has indirectly facilitated progress in some of the other areas (Gee, I wonder why it's listed first?). Actually--when I think about it--since my journey with this began (before even starting the Whole30 program, back when I was just reading the book and researching it), I've made progress in regards to all of these factors in one way or another.

I'm more aware of my sleep and am implementing measures to improve it (e.g. cutting out caffeine, using a white noise machine, aiming for a consistent sleep and wake cycle). It may be too soon to tell what the effects of these measures are because I'm adjusting to a lot of other things as well, but I'm optimistic. Even with just the white noise machine, I haven't been woken up in the middle of the night because of my neighbors. And THAT alone is cause for celebration.

Healthy movement is a sensitive subject for me right now. I'm still recovering from some lower back issues that put me at a complete stand still a little over a month ago. I went from being someone who ran three to four times a week and lifted weights three to four times a week to someone who is happy to get out for a nice leisurely walk a few times a week. I'm beginning to realize that "healthy movement" can mean something very different than the intense training I participated in before, and that's okay. This is a concept that is new and strange to me, but I'm adjusting and letting go and moving forward a little more every day.

Stress management is THE struggle of the century for me. Although, I already addressed how the Whole30 rules lessen that overall stress level a little in one of my earlier posts, and that remains true. I also recognize that there is a lot of interconnectedness going on between these factors because I'm becoming aware of how much easier it is to handle my stresses when I've eaten well, gotten enough sleep, been able to move, laugh, socialize, be outside, etc etc. I have to be careful that trying to achieve all of these things in the time I have each day doesn't become a stressor on its own, but one thing at a time.

I'm lucky because for me, fun and play is wrapped up nicely with other factors--mainly healthy movement and natural environment. And the warmer it gets outside, the more I have to look forward to in that department!

Personal growth is happening. It's happening right before your eyes, do you see it?

Socialization is happening too. I'm still the most god-awfully socially awkward person in the world at times, but occasionally I make people laugh and that is pretty great. It's nice to laugh with friends. In a way, this blog is forcing socialization on me. People read it and want to know more. I'm slightly taken aback by that, but what did I expect? I'm pleasantly surprised by how it feels to be this far outside of my comfort zone.

Natural environment is a huge aspect of life of which I crave more, always. I spend way too many hours a day indoors, sitting. I long for the mountains, the ocean, a rushing river, a trickling stream. A tree I can climb, a crag I can scale. A winding country road with rolling hills to ride over. These things I need. These things I will have, soon.

The last factor mentioned is temperance. When I think of temperance, I think of moderation. And the "everything in moderation" trope doesn't adequately some it up. Although in general, I do believe that moderation is key in all parts of life. But practicing moderation is only part it. You have to know why you're being moderate. There's an awareness of both ends of the spectrum that goes along with temperance. It's knowing the black and the white and purposefully choosing the shade of grey that works for you.

So this is where I am one week in. Now on to week two.

No comments:

Post a Comment